If you have been diagnosed with a mental health disorder, you may feel like recovery is impossible, but it really is not. The reason that you have feelings like that is because you are still sick. It is still a long hard road to go down, but you have a very high chance of being able to overcome your mental health problems.
Recovery is a little different for mental health, than it is for physical health because you have to make a lot of life changes, and there is always the chance of a rebound effect. Recovery is all about being able to control your own life and when you seek professional advice and help, you will notice just how much they focus on your train of thought, and recovering by thinking with a much more positive attitude.
There really is no way to define the recovery period because everyone is different, and no two people suffering with mental health problems are the same. It is more about being able to feel as though your life is worth it, and being able to regain your confidence and start to go about your day to day routines again with confidence.
What Happens During The Recovery Process?
· You will be provided with a holistic idea of your wellbeing and mental health, it will not focus solely on the symptoms that you display, but more on you and your needs
· You have to believe that you will recover in order to recover. This will mean counselling and a lot of help and support from people that love and care for you
· You have to know that it is a gradual process and that life is not all good
· Recovery will make those that are suffering from mental health issues to focus on new things in their life. By being able to think about hitting new targets, and doing new things that will help them to interact with others and make their lives feel as though they have more meaning in them
How to Help Yourself or Loved one recover
· By bettering relationships you can help the process of recovery
· Of course, finances are always a controlling factor in life, so creating financial security will be a great help
· Changing jobs to a career that makes you or your loved one feel satisfied will help a lot
· Joining groups and participating in sports and activities helps immensely with mental well being
· Staying away from those that encourage drug abuse or alcohol abuse
· Knowing who is really there for you
· Perhaps turning to religion, or having some type of a spiritual awakening
· Also, creating a defence mechanism that will protect you from falling to stress in the future
It is also very important that you surround yourself with people that truly believe in you. This helps immensely to give you a sense of well-being and feeling wanted. If someone can listen and understand you, you can relate a lot better to life. When issues that have a negative impact on you happen, making sure that you understand what made them to happen and why of course they occurred. This will be able to help you a lot as well. It is not impossible to recover, just make sure that you remain positive.
Please make sure to seek medical advice if you think you have mental health problems. You can also visit www.mentalhealth.gov for mental health information. Also if you are based in the UK visit www.nhs.uk/livewell/mentalhealth/.